23.4.12

An interview with a future exchange student


In the middle of 2012 a new group of Brazilian students will leave to, maybe, one of the best years in their lives, or at least a year full of changes and discoveries. Among these future exchange students is Pedro Müller Metsavaht Salomão, a 16 year old from Goiânia, who will live in Germany for a semester. Pedro, who hosts the Turkish Pamir üsküdarli since August, has known AFS Intercultural Programs through a friend that hosted an exchange student from Germany. The AFS Goiânia Committee Blog talked to Pedro about his expectations for his exchange experience.

Pedro

AFS Goiânia Committee Blog: Why do you want to participate in an exchange program?

Pedro: I understood how the exchange experience is by hosting an exchange student and then I realized that it’s something I always wanted. I want to create a parallel life in another country, in a culture and way of living totally different from mines, make new friends and learn a new language.

AFS Goiânia Committee Blog: Why did you choose Germany?

Pedro: Germany is a country that has always interested me, in first place because I am a descendent of Germans, in second place because German is a language that can help me a lot in the future, and, finally, because I want to experience the cultural schock, which I think will be big and also something positive for my growth.

AFS Goiânia Committee Blog: Do you already know how to speak German?

Pedro: Not yet, but I’m studying to learn the basics and improve there.

AFS Goiânia Committee Blog: What are your expectations?

Pedro: I’m very anxious and a little bit afraid of it. I don’t know where I’m going to live or with who I’m going to live, but I hope it will be a good experience.

Pamir and Pedro

 AFS Goiânia Committee Blog: How do you intend to deal with the cultural differences during your exchange experience?

Pedro: I will always ask my host family and my adviser how I have to act, what I should or shouldn’t do, because I imagine that there are huge differences between the Brazilian and the German way.

AFS Goiânia Committee Blog:: Do you think these differences could make your exchange experience difficult?

Pedro: Maybe at the beginning, but I think this is one of the stages every exchange student has to go through during the program, the cultural shock. That’s one of the reasons for my decision, but I’m still a little afraid of it.

AFS Goiânia Committee Blog: Do you think that the exchange experience and knowing people from other countries could help building a better world?

Pedro: Yes, it’s one more step to understand other cultures and to end prejudice.

AFS Goiânia Committee Blog: Do you wish to become an AFS volunteer when you come back to Brazil?

Pedro: Sure, since I’ve known AFS I’ve became friends with a lot of exchange students that have come to Brazil and I like to meet foreigners and also the voluntary work. I aspire to become a volunteer when I come back.

Pedro and Jota (also going to Germany)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário